Log in

No account? Create an account

fell in love with a girl

« previous entry | next entry »
January 10, 2009 | 10:15pm
Mood: and almost completely
Music: Carrie Underwood - Last Name

I'm back in Kirksville. Sigh. My break wasn't nearly long enough.

Some interesting things: I now own an ottoman. This is exciting because I don't exactly have all that much in the way of furniture. In my living room I have two bookcases, an end table, and a futon. Now I have a really ugly ottoman that I found out by the dumpster. Well, at least I have somewhere to prop my feet now. And even more importantly: it was free! Hot damn!

Yesterday I went to the post office and applied for my passport. The guy said I should receive it in 4-6 weeks. I'm incredibly excited; I mean, I have one less excuse to not go abroad. I just need to buy a plane ticket (and figure out what exactly Visas are) and I can go anywhere in the world. And on that note, I'm contemplating backpacking across Europe this summer. Anyone interested? Contact me. Seriously.

Oh, and after eight years of buying textbooks, I bought the last books I'll ever need to buy. Well, until grad school. It was amazing - and surprisingly inexpensive.

One semester left... can I do it? Answer: god I hope so.

Link | Comment |

Comments {18}

Bedlam boys are bonny

(no subject)

from: mad_maudlin
date: January 11, 2009 04:36am (UTC)

bisous_77 has it right--a visa is a sticker in your passport that states you have permission to be in a certain country. It also sometimes has other info about you. Applying for a visa is a long, painful and expensive process, but the good news is that you don't always need one; if you're just going to Europe, for instance, most of those countries are part of the Schengen Agreement that allow citizens to travel freely for up to three months sans visa. (Getting a job, studying, or staying longer than three months are different rules.) On the other hand, to get a Russian visa you need to submit "support documents" consisting of either a letter of invitation from a Russian citizen or registration with a hotel or tourist company, and your visa will last only as long as you're going to be in the country. Kazakhstan usually only issues visas for twelve months, and then you have to leave the country in order to apply for a new one; Peace Corps is the only exception I know of. (Our visas are good for the full 27 months of service and training.)

Reply | Thread


(no subject)

from: aodh
date: January 11, 2009 10:11pm (UTC)

Thank you so much for the info! I know a little about visas (like, you need one to get into Russia, etc), but beyond that, not so much. Consider ignorance fought. :)

Reply | Parent | Thread